Middle School Content Specialty Program for Certified Teachers
What You Need to Know
Middlesex County College Continuing Education is proud to offer a pathway for certified teachers to complete an additional certification in a middle school content area(s). Current New Jersey Department of Education regulations for Subject Matter certification require that applicants complete a minimum of 15 credits, from a regionally accredited 2 OR 4 year college/university, in a subject area that they want to be certified in. Courses in educational pedagogy do not count towards the subject matter requirement. Applicants must also have taken a child through adolescent psychology course, adolescent psychology, or lifespan psychology course.
As part of the enrollment process into the Content Specialty Program for Certified Teachers, courses that were taken at the undergraduate level will be reviewed and used to create your Program Evaluation in the content area(s) you have chosen to complete.
Download Program Evaluation Forms:
Upon successful completion of your courses, you will receive an Official Middlesex County College Transcript and be prepared to take the Praxis Middle School Subject exam in your content area(s), both of which are required for middle school certification in New Jersey. Please see for more information about the Praxis Middle School Subject exams. For more information about New Jersey Department of Education requirements for middle school certification, click on , , , and/or .
Enrollment begins March 1 and ends August
Registration for fall semester courses opens in March
Enrollment begins October 1 and ends January 15
Registration for spring semester courses opens in October
Summer Session I and Summer Session II
Summer Session I: Enrollment begins March 1 and ends May1
Summer Session II: Enrollment begins March 1 and ends July 1
Registration for both summer sessions opens in March
The Enrollment Process
Schedule an Appointment
- Schedule an appointment in Continuing Education by contacting Charita Green at or CGreen@
Gather Documentation and Complete Admissions and Enrollment Form
- You will need to bring your official transcripts, unofficial transcripts, and a copy of your NJ Standard Instructional Certificate to your appointment with Continuing Education
- Complete the Content Specialty Admissions and Enrollment Form
Meet with a Designated Continuing Education Administrator
- At this appointment you will submit the Content Specialty Admissions and Enrollment Form and pay the $25 one time, non-refundable application fee along with the $15 non-refundable Content Specialty enrollment fee (per program).
- Review transcripts and generate the Program Evaluation for your selected content specialty or specialties
- Receive information on recommended courses and how to use Campus Cruiser, Library & Bookstore
- Discuss future courses and registration process
- Discuss steps to complete program
Register and Complete Courses in Content Area
- Use Program Evaluation to select courses
- Register online for each semester using the college’s Registration Dates and pay online or in-person
Finish Content Specialty Program
- Complete all required courses with a grade of “C” or above
- Request Official MCC Transcript in Campus Cruiser when coursework is completed
- Request Certificate of Completion from Continuing Education after coursework is completed